Example: The just and gracious God of the universe looked upon hopelessly sinful people and sent His Son, Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, to bear His wrath against sin on the cross and to show His power over sin in the resurrection so that all who have faith in Him will be reconciled to God forever.
Use the following five elements of a biblical presentation of God’s story to write the Gospel in your own words.
THE CHARACTER OF GOD (Romans 1:1820, 2:116, 3:2224, Isaiah 43:6 7)
- Biblical Truth: God is the just and gracious Creator of all things.
THE SINFULNESS OF MAN (Romans 1:2125, 3:920, 3:23, 6:23)
- Biblical Truth: We are each created by God, but we are all corrupted by sin.
THE SUFFICIENCY OF CHRIST (Romans 3:2126, 4:25, 5:610, 5:18, 8:14)
- Biblical Truth: Jesus Christ alone is able to remove our sin and reconcile us to God through His death and resurrection. He alone satisfies the wrath of God for our sins.
THE NECESSITY OF FAITH (Romans 1:17, 3:2031, 4:2225, 6:1114, 8:10 11, 10:913)
- Biblical Truth: We are reconciled to God only through faith in Jesus. There is nothing we can do to become right with God.
THE URGENCY OF ETERNITY (Romans 6:23)
- Biblical Truth: Our eternal destiny is dependent on our response to Jesus.
Sharing God’s Story
Write out God’s story in 100 words or less using your descriptions of the five biblical truths which you just expressed in your own words above. Be prepared to verbally share the Gospel story with others in 60 seconds.
Example: My freshman year in college could be summed up in one word…do. I thought that if I did things “right,” I could earn favor with God and be accepted by Him. Then I was introduced to Jesus. I discovered that Christianity is not about what I do; it’s about what Jesus has done. He paid the debt for my sin that I could never pay. By dying on the cross and rising again, he paid the penalty for my rebellion against God. I trusted in Christ and repented of my sins before a holy God.
I was awakened to my need for a Savior by (people, circumstances, books, etc.):
I realized that God is:
I realized that I was separated from God because:
I came to understand that Christ:
I responded to the good news of Christ’s death and resurrection by:
Sharing Your Story
Use highlights from the previous exercise, write out your story in 100 words or less. Be prepared to verbally share your story with others in 60 seconds.